Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Maternal Lineages (mtDNA) > mtDNA - Genealogy Basics

mtDNA - Genealogy Basics All may view this forum, but you must register and sign in to post.

Old 27th December 2017, 11:56 PM
FTDNA Customer

MtDNA tests

Is it worth it to do the full sequence vs. the cheaper test and why?
Old 28th December 2017, 06:47 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
It really depends on what your trying to achieve, what your goal is. A full sequence will give you exact matches. After receiving those matches you need to find a common ancestor with the match.If neither of you have a good paper trail it becomes problematic.
I was successful with my test only because I found a match in which we found a common ancestor dating back to 1635. So the paper trail needs to go back in time. I have two american matches whose trail only back to the 1800's, Not good enough.
Worse yet , matches who do not respond back. I ask rhetorically "Why did you spend all that money and not respond to an inquiry?".Sometimes another use can be in joining mtDNA groups who,for a lack of a better description, are specialized. By joining a French heritage project I found my ancestor listed correctly as an early quebec pioneer.
Needless to say mtDNA can be difficult to use in general. I think a show of hands would show a majority getting little use out of it.
Old 28th December 2017, 11:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Man, I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I have read elsewhere that so few people have done these tests that it's hard to find matches. I'm not necessarily looking to do that. I'd like to know more specifically where my ancestors lived and in what time periods so I can learn more about the ancient groups they belonged to. Right now I just have regions but no specifics or time frames.
Old 28th December 2017, 12:55 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitFire View Post
In short ... YES

Hello (again )

ftDNA got "mtDNA plus" at USD 89 and "mtFull Sequence" USD 169 (/199)

mtDNA plus is useless for you if you want to know as much as you want (ref. your other question regarding Rollo ) ...

you could start with the cheap (and useless) one and update to the mtFull Sequence later, but you've also got the "holiday special price" (up to USD 100 off) so why not get hold of a coupon code from ftdna and order a test before 2018?

(I had the same questions a year ago before I ordered my tests ... and I got the mtFull Seq. )
Old 28th December 2017, 02:35 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Right now I just have regions but no specifics or time frames.
None of the mtDNA tests are going to give you that so you are best saving your money in my opinion. Unless you have a very specific goal and somebody already in the database or somebody you recruited to test to compare to I would avoid but up to you.
Old 28th December 2017, 06:00 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
It is very questionable whether it is worth it to test the MtDNA -- However, if you are going to do it, do the Full MtDNA since it costs basically as much to upgrade from Plus to Full as to just do Full.

Definitely do the FamilyFinder Test - that in my opinion is definitely worth it.

None of the tests will give you a who lived where when answer - unless possibly they are moving in that direction with the BigY -- but the mitochondria do not come close to being able to provide that, even when fully analyzed.
Old 31st December 2017, 09:57 AM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by travers View Post
None of the mtDNA tests are going to give you that so you are best saving your money in my opinion. Unless you have a very specific goal and somebody already in the database or somebody you recruited to test to compare to I would avoid but up to you.
For most people the mtDNA full sequence test will identify a group of exact and close matches who share a common maternal ancestor typically between 1000 to 4000 years ago, depending on how many "recent" extra mutations have accumulated in your maternal line. In many cases it can be useful for identifying a general region of origin and in some cases a specific country of origin. If your maternal line has accumulated fewer mutations the results will be more generic, and if your line has recent mutations, the results can be more specific. You can't predict what you will find unless you do the test.
Old 30th January 2018, 06:01 AM
FTDNA Customer

I have had 3 new mtDna matches this month, for a total of 23-one step. I am U3a1b.