Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > Adoptees Forum

Adoptees Forum This is a forum for adoptees and descendants of adoptees to share their research experiences and exchange information as well as tips. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 12th February 2018, 12:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

X Match Confused

Hi guys,
I'm very new to this stuff. I got my FF matches back today. I've also taken the mtDNA test. I am an adopted female given up for adoption. I know my biological mom's name and I have a half sister and half brother. My half sister took the mtDNA test and we came up in the same Haplogroup. She didn't take the FF test.

I have no clue of my parental father other than my biological mother told me he moved from Virginia to South Carolina after I was born (1970. They have no contact and I don't talk with my maternal mother.

Where is the first place I should be looking at for my paternal DNA. I thought I understood the X match but if I have an X match on a female that is 2-4th cousin that I don't see in my maternal family tree would that mean it could be a x from my paternal grandmother? Sorry I'm so confused on this.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:12 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

Unless the segment on the X chromosome is over 7 cM, some say over 10 cM, just ignore it. I don't think FTDNA should report segments on the X chromosome that are under 7 cM. Segments under that are likely to be just in the general population.

You probably won't get much info out of mtDNA testing, other than verifying that you and your half-sister probably have the same mother. See if your half-sister will do a Family Finder test.

I also recommend you do a DNA test at Ancestry. Their complete lack of tools is disgraceful, but sometimes the size of their database alone is a great help when looking for close relatives.
Old 12th February 2018, 01:47 PM
FTDNA Customer

Paternal DNA

DebbieH, you are good to go!

The FF matches you got back today are your cousins from BOTH of your parents, Mother AND Father.

The X is actually Chromo 23, and has a different inheritance path, and threshold for cMs and according to gender, than Chromos 1-22.

Last edited by Biblioteque; 12th February 2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:19 PM
FTDNA Customer

It's a 14.38 cM on the X match. I guess I'll just have to start emailing people.
Old 12th February 2018, 03:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
Unless the segment on the X chromosome is over 7 cM, some say over 10 cM, just ignore it. I don't think FTDNA should report segments on the X chromosome that are under 7 cM. Segments under that are likely to be just in the general population.

You probably won't get much info out of mtDNA testing, other than verifying that you and your half-sister probably have the same mother. See if your half-sister will do a Family Finder test.

I also recommend you do a DNA test at Ancestry. Their complete lack of tools is disgraceful, but sometimes the size of their database alone is a great help when looking for close relatives.
Thank you. I was thinking of doing one with Ancestry for the same exact reason.
Old 1st March 2018, 04:54 PM
FTDNA Customer

I had posted a lot of questions about the presents and absences of X to try and sort out who was on mother/fathers side. I was pretty much told do not trust X farther than a generation or two. Also she could match X on the fathers side, so very very confusing on top of being unreliable. So I do not use X at all.

This is flustering when a person is adopted and has one 3rd cousin and a bunch of 4th cousins.

I know this may not help much other than be a warning to watch out for where X might lead you.