Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 13th March 2018, 07:11 AM
FTDNA Customer
Help (please!) with understanding my DNA results

Hi There

I am new to the forum and to DNA so apologies if I am asking things that have already been covered. I am sure there are lots of people on here who know more than I do about this. My recent DNA test came back as 51% Western European, 34% Irish, 10% Scandinavian, 2% Southern European, 2% Caucasus and 1% Finland/North West Russia. I ran my raw data through Gedmatch admixture and it looks as though I have a number of different origin countries contributing to that. To my knowledge there is no Spanish, german, french or Hungarian in my family tree. I am intrigued to find out where my 51% Western European DNA is from. Any help in interpreting these results or ideas for running further tests to find out more would be very welcome.
Many Thanks in advance
Old 13th March 2018, 09:04 PM
FTDNA Customer
My advice is to totally ignore the ethnicity results and pay attention to any matches at the 1st-3rd cousin range, and the higher ones in the 2nd-3rd cousin range, to see if you can work out where the two of you may match.