Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > General Interest > DNA and Genealogy for Beginners

DNA and Genealogy for Beginners Everything you wanted to know about DNA and Genealogy but didn't know where to ask. This board is open to customers and visitors.

Old 21st January 2004, 08:11 AM
SharonBryant

Usefulness of mtDNA tests

DNA testing seems to be valuable to males trying to connect genetic links.

However, my situation--as a female--is obviously different. Here's what I would like to determine. If someone can tell me if it is possible I would appreciate it.

Couple A

Couple B

For the first couple we have proven through the standard genealogical records who their parents were. However, for the second couple we know for certain only who the wife's father is.

There is a supposition that wife B's mother was the same woman as the mother of wife A.

Because we know who wife A's father is and if there is a female match would that indicate that wife B's father and mother were the same people as wife A's parents?

I hope my question was understandable and answerable.

Thank you,

Sharon
Old 21st January 2004, 08:35 AM

Re: Usefulness of mtDNA tests

There is a supposition that wife B's mother was the same woman as the mother of wife A.

Because we know who wife A's father is and if there is a female match would that indicate that wife B's father and mother were the same people as wife A's parents?

I hope my question was understandable and answerable.

Sharon,
Basically, you would need to test a direct female line descendant of both woman A and woman B (ie their daughters daughters daughters daughter etc). If the results differ between the tested descendants then woman A & B are NOT sisters - on the other hand if they do match then there's a chance that they were sisters (but you cannot prove it 100% beyond a doubt).

Angela.
Old 21st January 2004, 09:44 AM
SharonBryant

Okay, I understand what you're saying. But here's the catch:

I would be a direct female descendant of both women if they were sisters!

If they were not, would it show up if I'm the only one who is tested?

I do have a friend who we've discovered is a direct female descendant of couple A and presumably couple B but wouldn't we match as both descendants of couple A anyway?
Old 21st January 2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SharonBryant
Okay, I understand what you're saying. But here's the catch:

I would be a direct female descendant of both women if they were sisters!

If they were not, would it show up if I'm the only one who is tested?

I do have a friend who we've discovered is a direct female descendant of couple A and presumably couple B but wouldn't we match as both descendants of couple A anyway?
Ok, you got me lost for a bit,...but I think I know what you are saying now.....
its best explained in this chart....
http://www.familytreedna.com/tc.html

The mtdna is only carried down the female line (red in the diagram). mitochondrial DNA is basically never inherited from fathers.
Even if you are a descendant of both couples, - you will be the mitochrondrial descendant of only the woman in the direct female line (since we only inherit mitochondrial DNA from our mothers).

If the two women were NOT sisters then it wouldn't show up in your DNA, as you don't have the mitochrondrial DNA of the woman who isn't in the direct female line.
Likewise if your friend has the same woman (lets say its woman A) in their direct maternal line, then both of you will only have the mitochrondrial DNA of woman A (or B, depending on which it might be).
Hope this helps (and that I haven't been too confusing!! )
Angela.
Old 24th January 2004, 04:36 PM

I also have a mtDNA question.

We know my cousin Bill and I share the same GGG Samuel Crow, but do we share the same GGG grandmother?

We would like to know if we both do a mtDNA test, would that tell us if Samuel Crow's wife, Susannah, who was my GGG grandmother, was also his GGG grandmother?

I assume that if we both matched, then we could assume we also share the same GGG grandmother, and if we did not match, then we could assume Samuel was married to at least one other female.

Are my assumtions near being correct?

Crow(e) Grp. Adm.

Old 25th January 2004, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crowslanding
I also have a mtDNA question.

We know my cousin Bill and I share the same GGG Samuel Crow, but do we share the same GGG grandmother?

We would like to know if we both do a mtDNA test, would that tell us if Samuel Crow's wife, Susannah, who was my GGG grandmother, was also his GGG grandmother?

I assume that if we both matched, then we could assume we also share the same GGG grandmother, and if we did not match, then we could assume Samuel was married to at least one other female.

Are my assumtions near being correct?

Crow(e) Grp. Adm.

Assuming that Samuels wife(s) was the direct maternal line ancestor for both of you....... then.....
If there is a mismatch then, yes you can safely conclude that Samuel had more than one wife (assuming no adoptions official or unofficial). However, If the results are the same you cannot conclude 100% beyond a doubt that they were the same woman (since theres always the chance he had a second wife who had similar mtDNA to the first wife).
The even bigger if is whether the wife of Samuel Crow was on the direct maternal line - my brain keeps picking up on the fact you are the Crow(e) group administrator (which makes it sound as if Crow might be a paternal, or an indirect maternal/paternal line rather than the strict maternal line).
If Samuel is on you paternal line, then neither you nor cousin Bill will have the mtDNA of Samues wife(s)

Angela.

Last edited by AngelaC; 25th January 2004 at 02:59 AM.
Old 25th January 2004, 09:42 AM

Thanks Angela,

You are correct, Crow is my direct paternal line, and you have answered my question on mtDNA testing between my cousin Bill and I.

Phil Crow, Crow(e) Grp. Admin.