Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Announcements and New Features

Announcements and New Features Announcements of changes at Family Tree DNA and to the FTDNA website. This is also for general communications by FTDNA staff.

Old 11th December 2017, 05:26 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobster View Post
Okay - so I found the White Paper - and it is 46 pages long, and seems to talk a lot about the Relationship Estimates and determing the correct Relationship Estimates -- but read thru 10 pages and skimmed more without seeing anything about determining the shared cM reported -- could someone help with a reference to what page or pages that is on?

Also, used search/find on it, and it did not find any reference to "pileup" in that White Paper - so could someone please explain that term as well, and how it connects.
"Pileup" is a colloquialism. The white paper refers to "excessive IBD" and "spikes" in section four (page 24+).
Old 10th February 2018, 06:08 PM
FTDNA Customer

Angry Matches conundum

I started out with FTDNA.Uploaed to Gene Cove,DNALand ,MyHeritage,Geni.Gedcom Genesis,Gene Plaza and Living DNA.
As a Jew,I have thousands of matches.I am amazed at how some people donít get it.A few have responded looking for a common surname donít upload or understand the next steps in this journey....My Heritage is easy to use,but the match base is small and every match has the same people on their matches...
I am still confused about the CM,Longest block and segments to filter out
Matches and have asked for help.All the info show how people match to their parents and close relatives.Not one shows figuring out others.Each site has differing amts.I am not looking for friends.I want to know a common ancestor and ethnicity that Imhave uncovered on each site.These maps are all different,so North Africa goes all the way to Cyprus...on one.
These companies are making big bucks but consumers are unaware about all the cons and work involved.People do not upload so much.Ged Match is great but the Oracles need a PHD interpretation.For the average person it could take a year to figure it out.I also have had matches respond one time.
Never had one contact me! I feel like I am being seen as an intruder into someoneís,personal life.So many matches are private without trees.if I mention the Cms and kit numbers they are deer in the headlights.This whole journey has not been pleasant.I wish there was someone out there in cyberspace that could teach the calculations easier.
I do not know my second ethnicity.It could be Sicilian or Maltese,even Turkish and I will never know.I know I have Sephardic and someone gave me matches.None ever replies...

Old 10th February 2018, 07:40 PM
mtDNA: T2b5 | Y-DNA: J-M172

No one ever replies. Everyone is too ignorant. I've been trying to use DNA to break down 2 brick walls - 4 missing 3rd great-grandparents since 2010.

We can blame Ancestry for taking autosomal DNA testing, which started out as a serious tool for genealogists, and turning it into a big joke, making big profits for silly ethnicity reports, that their gullible customers will never know are highly questionable.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:46 PM
FTDNA Customer

[QUOTE=Miamio;448273]
Quote:
I started out with FTDNA.Uploaed to Gene Cove,DNALand ,MyHeritage,Geni.Gedcom Genesis,Gene Plaza and Living DNA.
It sounds like you've thrown a lot of money at your project.

Quote:
I am still confused about the CM,Longest block and segments to filter out
Matches and have asked for help.All the info show how people match to their parents and close relatives.Not one shows figuring out others.Each site has differing amts.I am not looking for friends.I want to know a common ancestor and ethnicity that Imhave uncovered on each site.These maps are all different,so North Africa goes all the way to Cyprus...on one.
Try reading Roberta Estes's blog. (Just Google her name.) That might help you to understand the basics of genetic genealogy.

Quote:
These companies are making big bucks but consumers are unaware about all the cons and work involved.People do not upload so much.Ged Match is great but the Oracles need a PHD interpretation.For the average person it could take a year to figure it out.I also have had matches respond one time.
Never had one contact me!
People are human. Not everyone will be nice or cooperative. Many or most people won't. Get used to it.

Quote:
I feel like I am being seen as an intruder into someoneís,personal life.So many matches are private without trees.
Many people, particularly on Ancestry, have locked their posted trees. Why? Because others confiscate their trees, using and replicating them with no other effort on their part. Ancestry has become mostly a big 'cut & paste' pastime for many there.

Quote:
if I mention the Cms and kit numbers they are deer in the headlights.This whole journey has not been pleasant.I wish there was someone out there in cyberspace that could teach the calculations easier.
Read Roberta Estes's explanations and try to educate yourself. You don't need to become an expert at this. You only need to start understanding how genetic genealogy works.