Go Back   Family Tree DNA Forums > Family Tree DNA Communications > Grumbles & Gripes

Grumbles & Gripes This is a place for free and open grumbling, griping, and venting about anything and everything about DNA, companies, and genealogy that irks you. You may even come here to complain about the Forums and how they are run.

Old 5th June 2015, 03:43 PM
FTDNA Customer

Kit No. or Username?

On the login page, I always use my kit number where it says to input, "Kit No. or Username". However, I manage many kits, and have a hard time remembering which kit number is for which person.

How do I assign a Username to each kit, so I can log in by Username instead of Kit #?
Old 5th June 2015, 03:48 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewLM View Post
On the login page, I always use my kit number where it says to input, "Kit No. or Username". However, I manage many kits, and have a hard time remembering which kit number is for which person.

How do I assign a Username to each kit, so I can log in by Username instead of Kit #?
It does not work like that...

The only way to manage multiple kits is through a project.

And I think the user name refers only to project administrators login names. It could had been different many years ago.

W. (Mr.)
Old 5th June 2015, 03:49 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewLM View Post

Start a group and then log in as the admin using a username and join all your kits to the group.

I would keep a excel spreadsheet of all the kit numbers and passwords in two (2) secure locations, printed and electronic version.
Old 5th June 2015, 03:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have eleven kits and only use kit numbers.
Old 5th June 2015, 04:59 PM
FTDNA Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. L. Adams View Post
[----] I would keep a excel spreadsheet of all the kit numbers and passwords in two (2) secure locations, printed and electronic version.
Excel might be an overkill for some (as I think that Notepad on Windows is probably enough for most of single family projects), but the idea is most definitely
Old 5th June 2015, 05:20 PM
FTDNA Customer

I have a spreadsheet with kit numbers too... but it isn't just kit numbers... it is kit numbers, batch numbers, date ranges for results due... but more importantly, it is where I put the myOrigin percentages and then I put each of the gedmatch admixture calculators results percentages there. It is a nice spreadsheet for comparing all the ethic results, and keeping the kit numbers there is the added bonus.

That said, even though you need a separate kit number for each kit... you CAN use the same password for all kits. I do that.
Old 31st March 2017, 01:55 AM
FTDNA Customer

username

Just my experience: When I first attempted to logon and after creating an account, it asks for kit # or username. To be frank, I don't even have a kit yet, nor did I order one, but it has assigned a kit# to me. I opened an account for when dna results arrive from another company. It would be much easier for people to remember their usernames than all their different kit#'s or have to have them written down, or search their email for the multiple numbers, as I've had to do. For instance, PapaBob, GrandpaJones, sisterAbby, etc.. Family members one knows, numbers not so much. Although, I'm good with numbers, the older I become, the less my short term memory is. I know this is a scientific process, however it is the goal of genealogists in general to put names to a face or even DNA strands. Usernames help each other, not just in the forum, but in other places and should not be restricted to only Project Admins.